Kanapathy Gajapathy [Senior Lecturer (Grade II)]
Ph.D (Jaffna, Sri Lanka)
Room 16, Second floor, NSB II building
Website: Click here
CONSULTANCY AND OUTREACH
- Coordinator for the team to prepare a report for the proposed wind turbine farm in Thenmaradchi, Jaffna, 2019-2020
- Team leader for the Environment Impact analysis and reporting for the proposed water supply scheme based on Thondamarau lagoon in 2019
- Proposal writer and Coordinator for the Integrated Development Plan for North Province, Ministry of Sustainable Development and wildlife 2016 to 2018
- Steering Committee member for the Horse conservation plan in Delft Island, Ministry of Sustainable Development and wildlife 2013-2016
HONOURS AND AWARDS
- Commonwealth Scholar 2012
- President award for scientific research 2013 for scientific publication
- National research council merit award in 2014, 2015 and 2016 for scientific publications
- Chairperson of the Education and Research Committee and member of the pioneer committee of the Gender Equity and Equality Center of the University of Jaffna 2018-2019
- Activity- coordinator for the world bank projects (HETC/QIG in 2013-2015 and AHEAD/ELTA-ELSE 2019 onwards)
- Coordinator for the certificate course in Molecular biology lab techniques in 2016.
- Coordinator for Applied Science degree programme (Zoology) since 2015
- Member in IQAC (2017 onwards)
- Member of Strategic Management planning committee of the faculty (2019 onwards)
- Faculty representative for the Jaffna University International Research Conference (2016)
Jayadas, T.T.P., Kumanan, T., Arasaratnam, V., Gajapathy, K. and Surendran, S.N., 2019. The clinical profile, hematological parameters and liver transaminases of dengue NS1 Ag positive patients admitted to Jaffna Teaching Hospital, Sri Lanka. BMC research notes, 12(1), pp.1-5.
Surendran, S.N., Sivabalakrishnan, K., Sivasingham, A., Jayadas, T.T., Karvannan, K., Santhirasegaram, S., Gajapathy, K., Senthilnanthanan, M., Karunaratne, S.H.P. and Ramasamy, R., 2019. Anthropogenic factors driving recent range expansion of the malaria vector Anopheles stephensi. FRONTIERS IN PUBLIC HEALTH, 7.
Surendran, S.N., Marasinghe, J.P., Gajapathy, K., Tharmatha, T., Sivabalakrishnan, K., Weeraratne, T.C. and Karunaratne, S.H.P.P., 2019. Genotyping of Bemisia tabaci (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae) Reveals the Presence of Two Genetic Groups in Sri Lanka. Journal of Entomological Science, 54(2), pp.87-93.
Surendran, S.N., Sivabalakrishnan, K., Gajapathy, K., Arthiyan, S., Jayadas, T.T., Karvannan, K., Raveendran, S., Karunaratne, S.P. and Ramasamy, R., 2018. Genotype and biotype of invasive Anopheles stephensi in Mannar Island of Sri Lanka. Parasites & vectors, 11(1), p.3.
Tharmatha, T., Gajapathy, K., Ramasamy, R. and Surendran, S.N., 2017. Morphological and molecular identification of cryptic species in the Sergentomyia bailyi (Sinton, 1931) complex in Sri Lanka. Bulletin of Entomological Research, pp.1-8.
Kanapathy Gajapathy, Tharmatha Tharmasegaram, Thampoe Eswaramohan, Lalanthika BSL Peiries, Ravindra Jayanetti, Sinnathamby Noble Surendran. 2016. DNA barcoding of Sri Lankan phlebotomine sand flies using Cytochrome C Oxidase subunit I reveals the presence of cryptic species. Acta Tropica. doi:10.1016/j.actatropica.2016.05.001
My major research area is molecular taxonomy and evolution. I have worked with spiders, insect vectors, and snails. I’m currently working on establishing the vectorial status of sandflies in Sri Lanka.
University Grants Commission of Sri Lanka: PhD grant for probationers in 2009
Commonwealth scholar- Commonwealth split site PhD scholarship to pursue PhD at Universty of Nottingham, 2012-2013
Travel grant from commonwealth Scholarship commission, UK to attend the population genetics group conference in Glasgow, Scotland in 2012
University of Jaffna Research Grant in 2013/14.
National Science Foundation research grant (NSF/RG/HS/2015/04).
University of Jaffna research Grant 2014 and 2015
NSF equipment Grant 2015
University of Jaffna Technology Development Grant 2016
NSF spare part Grant 2017
University of Jaffna Research Grant in 2019